Adhering to the founding philosophy of Lam Tai Fai College, offering an innovative and broadening curriculum with special emphasis on Innovative Technology, Innovation and Technology (I&T) is one of the Focus Learning Areas (FLA) in the College. I&T development can inject new impetus into the economy, improve people' s quality of life and create quality jobs for young people. The feature of College development for I&T FLA is able to cater for students who pursue for academic excellence and show potential or have proven talents in new technologies. With the expertise and professional support, the College endeavours to develop its teaching team, curriculum, pedagogy and facilities to high teaching and learning effectiveness.
The College is stepping up efforts in I&T development in the following objectives:
- To construct a school-based holistic curriculum for Innovation & Technology education
- To broaden students' horizon and enable them to realise their potential and embrace future with the new technologies
- To promote and support continuing professional development of panel members in order to foster a vibrant teaching team
HOLISTIC CURRICULUM FRAMEWORK
The college offers a comprehensive curriculum taking into account of Junior Secondary and Senior Secondary formal curriculum, taster programme, interest group, enhancement group, service group and elite team, etc. which caters for different student needs.
The school-based curriculum emphasizes the integration of design thinking and technologies, e.g., coding, artificial intelligence, robotics technologies, 3D graphics and printing, healthcare technologies, fintech, digital literacy, etc. to produce an idea that are innovative, elegant and commercially successful.
Holistic framework to cater for student needs
Junior Secondary (S1 to S3) I&T:
- provide students to understand the basic IT tools, e.g., office automation and different learning platforms;
- develop students with logical thinking through the practice of blocky coding;
- equip students with new technology skills which integrated hands-on practices and collaborative learning;
- provide student with an articulation to ICT curriculum for senior secondary.
Senior Secondary (S4 to S6) ICT:
- provide students with a body of essential knowledge, concepts and applications of
- information, communication and computer systems;
- equip students with problem-solving and communication skills, and encourage them to
- think critically and creatively;
- develop students into competent, effective, discriminating, ethical and confident users of ICT, so as to support their lifelong learning; and
- provide students with opportunities to appreciate the impact of ICT on our knowledge-based society, so as to nurture in them positive values and attitudes towards this area.
STEM Enhancement (STEM-E)
- provide students with relevant skills and appropriate use of common application software.
- develop students with analytical skills from a general perspective, and implement solutions incorporating command line coding.
- equip students with adequate knowledge in coding for various learning devices.
STEM School Team
- provide students with advanced skills and excellent use of a range of application software.
- develop students to apply thorough analytical and interpretive skills to construct and improve on their own practices in using programming language.
- facilitate students to formulate innovative ideas in improving the daily life problems by using ICT.
- nurture students' information literacy as well as their abilities and attitudes to use information technology effectively through various learning activities and services, and to develop positive service attitudes.
- train students into responsible IT leaders so that they could become responsible citizens and lifelong learners.
- act as liaisons between students and the various subjects and committees.